So the last day of the decade is before me and as I sit and ponder what 2011 holds for me, let me take a quick stroll down memory lane….
January: I quit my rather stable and well-paying job. For what? Because I hated it, I hated it with such a passion that I would have rather been intimate with a cactus than continue working there. Actually, I hated my boss…the job was fine. My boss was wacko. Sorry Boss Person…you are a good person outside of work, but in the four walls of our office, you were belittling, didn’t know the concept of work/life balance and at times just plain mean.
February – June: I floated around the house doing various projects to occupy that hole formerly occupied by work. I posted everything I did on my Facebook page and my brilliant friends told me that I should start a blog.
July: I started CourtneyOutLoud.wordpress.com.
August: I started culinary school at the Culinary Institute of America in St. Helena, CA. On my first day I was harassed by an instructor and heard my neighbors having very loud sex.
September – November: Questioned my decision to attend culinary school all the while writing about all my experiences on the blog.
December: Quit culinary school after the epiphany that I love cooking, but not being a chef. I love setting a beautiful table, cooking a nice meal and entertaining friends and family. Find me a business model that lets me do the without going $70K into debt thanks to schooling and allows me to pull in what I was making as a marketing manager, and I will gladly pay you $10K for your efforts!
So that brings me to the last day of the year. I typically don’t make new year’s resolutions because I am easily distracted. I tend to like the new and the pretty rather than the old. However, 2011 is going to be different from what I did in 2010, for starters I will be working part-time but also because I will be doing something I enjoy, blogging about design and cooking. So for 2011, here are my top five goals:
5) Continue to build relationships with my family and friends: I tend to be myopic in my scope when it comes to people in my life. Out of sight many times meant out of mind but the blogging has taught me something different. I have met a vast number of people who I have never interacted with in person……but I think about them often. I care about their lives, their accomplishments and well-being. If I can care that deeply about a group of people I never met, then I can definitely dig a little deeper and maintain connections with my existing friends and family.
4) Maintain me: No excuses. As a friend of mine says “Don’t let your big ‘but’ get in your way….” I need to take care of my needs on both a physical and intellectual level. On a physical level, I need to seek out how to get my work out. Simply put, I want to take classes, in particular dance classes that will get me in active and in a group of like-minded people. I also am going to give concerted effort to the vast array of workout DVDs I have in my collection. On an intellectual level, I am going to take courses to continue my learning. I am signing up for two courses through U of C Berkeley’s Extension program in their interior design certificate program. If design is a passion, then I need to become educated on the topic matter.
3) To know my own self: I make no excuses that I have suffered from bouts of depression and at times anxiety. In 2011, I want to see what I can do to tackle these demons, because I honestly believe that they are a part (not the whole cause) of why I am not excelling to the level I believe I can achieve. So with that said, I am looking to enroll into ongoing counseling to address these issues head on. I think it will be good for me to look at them head on …… these issues will no longer define my path in 2011.
2) Network: I need to network. I must network. I am going to network. By nature I am shy and the idea of approaching a random stranger and starting a dialogue scares the bejesus out of me. However, I need to do this if I am going to pursue a career in new media and design. I have decided that as part of this goal I need to attend three industry events and get business cards from 10 people at each event. Maybe its a bit ambitious to go from zero to 30, but I need to push.
1) Grow the blog: I love blogging. I honestly do. I love the feedback, sharing and the idea that I below to a greater community. I started the blog as a way to share my journey through culinary school. However, the blog helped me find a part of myself that I didn’t know existed. The blog has given me focus, clarity and a sense of purpose; things I have lacked for a long time. In 2011, I am looking to bring in more of my marketing and event background into the blog as well as challenge myself to do projects that scare (but also excite) me.
So there you have it…..my year in review as well as my year looking forward. These last several months have been a whirlwind but I am honored that so many of you have decided to join me on this journey. Thank you for your support and I am looking forward to sharing many more projects, mishaps, rants and the like in 2011.
Be safe, be well and prosper!