There is something deliciously naughty about having breakfast for dinner. It’s like wearing your PJs all day or when you opt for a “liquid lunch”. Frittatas have long been a staple of my weekend entertaining thanks to their ability to be made in advance, eaten at room temperature and the almost limitless combinations of ingredients. Plus, it’s a one pot meal if you have an oven-proof skillet and I don’t think there is anything prettier than a cast iron skillet fresh from the broiler with a perfectly golden and puffy frittata placed on a table.
Okay, my mouth is watering ……….
Bacon & Potato Frittata
- 6 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup Parmesan, grated
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- Pinch salt
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 cup cubed potatoes (Yukon Gold)
- 1 small yellow onion, chopped
- 4 stripes of chopped country bacon (ham can be substituted)
- 1 tablespoon chopped chives
- Preheat oven to broil setting.
- Place bacon on baking sheet and broil until crisp. Remove and place on paper towels to drain.
- In medium size bowl, using a fork, blend together eggs, Parmesan, pepper, and salt. Set aside.
- Heat 12-inch, oven safe sauté pan over medium high heat. Add butter & olive oil to pan and melt. Add potatoes and onions to pan and sauté until onions are translucent and potatoes are fork tender, about 10 minutes.
- Cut or crumble bacon and add to pan.
- Pour egg mixture into pan and stir with rubber spatula. Cook for 4 to 5 minutes or until the egg mixture has set on the bottom and begins to set up on top.
- Place pan into oven and broil for 3 to 4 minutes, until lightly browned and fluffy. Remove from heat and let sit for 3-5 minutes to allow eggs to set.
- Sprinkle with chives and cut into 6 servings. Serve immediately.
Now if you will excuse me, I need to wipe the drool from my chin and figure out if I can justify popcorn and ice cream as an adult substitute for dinner.
For other recipes, you can see all my random kitchen musings here……