My technology fiasco continues to drag on with my old computer. I am officially done with it I think and will be biting the bullet to purchase a Mac in the coming weeks (gives the one finger salute to HP). So apologies for not posting yesterday…….
On Tuesday I promised to show you the new dining chair slipcovers and I am a man of my word. A few months ago, I got this notion — this hankering — this need — to add pattern to the kitchen. It was feeling a tad too sterile for my liking and was lacking warmth. Or it could have just been that we were having a sucky and cold Spring — but either way, I was craving a change.
On one of my regular jaunts to the discount fabric store, I ran across this fabric:
I instantly fell in love with the pattern — its large-scale print in greige, grellow and cream was the perfect foil to my white walls, charcoal trim and wood door. It also coordinated beautifully with the teal I painted in the pantry. What sealed the deal for me was that is was an indoor/outdoor fabric — perfect for a dining chair slipcover. Who cares if you spill red wine! Sticky baby fingers – no sweat! I was pleasantly surprised to learn that it was $8.99 a yard plus it was sale day – SCORE! So in my book, I scored the designing trifecta of beauty, function and price. BOOYAH!
I bought 12 yards of the fabric (2 yards per chair) and called my seamstress to get to work on the project. She whipped this puppies up in no time! Here they are…..
I am really pleased with how they turned out and how well they fit into the overall scheme of the room. And yes – I had my doubts…..I worried that since the chair wasn’t perfectly straight that the slipcovers would look bunchy and saggy. While the slipcovers are not a perfect fit – I like the casual feel of them. I am particularly happy that we opted to go with a pleated front to allow guests to kick their feet back rather than the fitted bottom I envisioned.
The pattern is adding a lightness to the kitchen and a casual quality that I am loving. It feels fresh and inviting – so mush so that I am having issues with Scruffy wanting to jump on the chairs now to take a nap.
So with this project done, I am now back to focusing on how to hang the chandelier I found for the dining room and mapping out details for the master bedroom make-over.
I am off to count my pennies for these other projects and potentially to sell a pint of blood to make them happen. Have a great weekend!!!!