If you can’t tell, I have “baby nursery” on the brain in a big way. I am in the home stretch of putting together a nursery for a client’s baby girl. The nursery design created is definitely not for the child (or Mom) who is afraid of color – turquoise, white and splashes of yellow and navy blue dominate the color palate. It is a bold room that fits the bold personality of the clients. When it came to artwork, the same sense of boldness had to hold true. Under no certain terms did the client want pictures of teddy bears, Disney princesses or “cute” for cute sake. Under no certain terms did the client want pictures of teddy bears, Disney princesses or “cute” for cute sake. That was fine with me since I find many of the items manufactured as “children’s art” to be a bit off-putting and really not that enjoyable to look at on a regular basis.
The client had several art pieces that she wanted incorporated into the room but that still left me with 3 blank walls in the room to fill. The client’s pieces revolve around the concept of folk art. I needed a foil to the largest of the pieces — something that was visually strong in shape and color but still appropriate for a child’s room. I knew that I wanted to work a quote into the room in a way that didn’t use a wall stencil or canvas. However, it wasn’t until I ran across a painting by the artist Piet Mondrian that my concept for my DIY art project came together.
Mondrian’s artwork has a linear quality that plays with depth through the use of color and lines. This is one of my favorite pieces:
It seemed like the perfect foil for the folk art already in the room and the perfect back drop for a quote. I played around with the format of the piece this week until I found a composition I liked:
Armed with a concept and a plan, I set out on making it into reality. All it took was 2 different Ikea frames (9 in total), 1 bag of alphabet magnets and 5 different colors of spray paint. The spray painting took the longest since I wanted a deep saturated color which meant many layers of spray paint to achieve a smooth and shiny finish. However, even with the loss of some brain cells and certain lung cancer later in life, the final result is something I am beyond thrilled with and excited to get into the room…..
Up next is putting together the pieces of the fabric artwork for the other wall. Pictures to come soon!